Plant Growth With Magnets (Experiment)
Hi, this is Marcus. After buying all the materials needed for this experiment, with the help of my mom, I put these together! I am going to keep a log of when I water them, when they sprout, and so forth. We bought a spray bottle to water them better too! My experiment is testing this question: "How does a magnetic field effect plant growth?".We used Marigolds and Radishes for this experiment! I am using the strongest non-powered magnets on earth: Rare Earth magnets (A.K.A. Neodymium magnets). Putting 2 quarter-size Rare Earth magnets in the soil and 2 on screws in the soil (to raise them a bit higher) creates the needed magnetic field!
If you want to do this experiment yourself then the supplies you will need are as follows;
-4 multicolored pots (must be multicolored; not really; only need 2 per plant type)
-2 types of fast growing plants (don't need to have 2 types of plants)
-Labels for each pot (highly recommended)
-Neodymium magnets (or strong magnets)
-Long screws (not required)
-Something to keep a log (clipboard, paper, and pen work great)
-Potting soil (probably a good idea if you want the plant to grow)
-Something to water them (a spray bottle, or watering can)
-Water (also probably a good idea if you want the plant to grow)
|Day 4- the radish in magnetic field|
|Day 4- the radish control (without magnets)|
Now the steps are fairly simple:
- Buy or gather all needed supplies.
- Label each pot with what will be in it.
- Pour soil and place magnets in 1 or more locations; could be at the base of the pot in soil, sides, held up with screws or pieces of cardboard, ETC. Make sure to have one normal pot (without magnets) for a control.
- Place in seeds about a 1/2" down or what is recommended on package.
- Bury the seeds and lightly water. Take pictures of all you're doing.
- Make sure plant gets the right amount of sun each day and water; keep a log of when you water and when they sprout, etc.
- In about a month, measure each plant and add that to your log.
You can continue this for however long you want. When you are done, record your final log and compare the results. Take pictures of the plants too!
Stay tuned for further updates!!! :)