Sunday Thoughts

Today in Sacrament meeting (the family hour of my church), a beautiful return-sister-missionary spoke and shared some of her experiences serving the Lord in Japan. She spoke of three Christ-like attributes (charity and love, knowledge, and humility) that she felt prompted to focus on throughout her mission. These attributes came from a list out of the Preach My Gospel manual. Here is the complete list of Christ-like attributes:
  1. Faith in Jesus Christ
  2. Hope
  3. Charity and Love
  4. Virtue
  5. Knowledge
  6. Patience
  7. Humility
  8. Diligence
  9. Obedience                    

She spoke of feeling an overwhelming love for a Japanese grandmother she met briefly. Even though this woman had no desire to hear the message of the restored gospel, she spoke lovingly of her children and grandchildren and this sister-missionary realized that listening is one way we show love for others. She then spoke of service and how serving others leads to loving them. She said something like, "before you share (the gospel), you must show you care". With knowledge, she talked about the Holy Ghost and the gift of tongues. She had to learn Japanese on her mission and it was challenging for her, but the Holy Ghost helped her to know what to say in Japanese, even when she wasn't fully understanding the language. She likened humility to gratitude and told us it's not enough to feel grateful for the blessings we've been given, but we must also be thankful IN our circumstances, whatever those circumstances might be. This is wise counsel that has been given to us by prophets and apostles.

All of this made me think of an extended family member who has been on my mind lately. I am worried about her because of some of the scary choices she is making in life at this time. I know that she does not want my influence in her life in any way so all I can do is pray for her and love her. I was thinking that the Christ-like attributes I need to develop more to help me love her at this time are hope and patience.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a Break

Welcome 2017!

I Just Feel Like Blogging!