Sunday Thoughts

It was a beautiful Sabbath day here. I got so much out of church today. The theme in Sacrament meeting (the family meeting) was keeping the Sabbath day holy. Our ward (church congregation) here was one of those who recently made the change from holding Sacrament meeting last hour to holding Sacrament meeting first hour and the reverence in that meeting has been a night and day difference. It's wonderful to arrive early and walk in and immediately feel the spirit and hear the prelude music because everyone is being so quiet and respectful.


One of the stake counselors who spoke to us shared memories of his childhood and how his home did not have the gospel. In fact, there was alcoholism and divorce and it was pretty sad for him and his siblings. And then he said something that stood out to me: He said that he knows Heavenly Father still watched over his family and blessed him. I thought back to my childhood and I feel the same way. Even when my parents weren't making the best choices, Heavenly Father still watched over my family and blessed my life.


In gospel doctrine (Sunday School), we discussed our Savior's Resurrection. We read the account in Matthew 28. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father for providing a Savior and Redeemer as part of His plan of happiness. I cannot even begin to comprehend what our Savior suffered, for you and for me, first to atone for the sins of the world, and then to die upon the cross for us. And our class teacher said something that struck me: He said that after all our Savior did for us, he doesn't want to let him down. He wants to live right so that he can return to his heavenly home someday. I feel the same.


In Relief Society (the women's class), the lesson was on marriage and family. Here is my favorite quote from the lesson, by Ezra Taft Benson-
“God intended the family to be eternal. With all my soul, I testify to the truth of that declaration. May He bless us to strengthen our homes and the lives of each family member so that in due time we can report to our Heavenly Father in His celestial home that we are all there—father, mother, sister, brother, all who hold each other dear. Each chair is filled. We are all back home.”

One of the ways David and I strengthen our family and home is to gather our children together for family prayer and scripture study. We have made nightly family prayer a habit for some time now, and often on the nights when we haven't left enough time for scripture study, each member will take a turn sharing a favorite scripture verse or Article of Faith from memory. 


Today I feel extra thankful to know that at this time of my life, my marriage is happy and strong and each of my children are living the gospel and making good choices in their lives. 


Zach and I took a drive up a nearby canyon this afternoon and took these pictures using my new camera. 

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a Break

Welcome 2017!

I Just Feel Like Blogging!