Marriage and Family (My Beliefs)

In light of the recent legalization of same-sex marriage across this nation, I wish to respectfully share my beliefs about marriage and family and why this decision is a tragic one.

I have a firm testimony that we are all children of God who created us in "his own image" as stated in the Bible.
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."  (Genesis 1:27)
When God placed the first man, Adam, upon the earth, He saw that it was not good for man to be alone. So, what did God do? Did God create another man to be Adam's companion in life? No! He created a woman for Adam.
"And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." 
 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (Genesis 2:18, 21-24) 
  

And then God gave a commandment to Adam and Eve, to "multiply and replenish the earth."
"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth..." (Genesis 1:28)                                                                         
God purposely created man and woman so they could compliment each other, and neither could naturally have children without the other. It takes one man and one woman to create a new life.

Everything I believe about marriage and family is summed up perfectly in a beautiful document entitled, The Family: A Proclamation to the World, which I encourage my friends and extended family to read, ponder, pray about, teach to their children and display in their homes.

I firmly believe that God instituted marriage as a sacred unity between one man and one woman. He created marriage so that children would be born into families.  In The Family: A Proclamation to the World, it states:
"...We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."
I firmly believe that every child is a most precious gift from God and every child deserves to be raised by both a father and a mother who love each other and keep their marital vows. In The Family: A Proclamation to the World, it states:
“ 'Children are an heritage of the Lord' (Psalm 127:3)... THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ."
I firmly believe that the family unit is the most important, sacred and influential unit in every society. It is within our families that we are safe from the outside world. It is within our families that we are taught our values. It is within our families where we are cherished and loved unconditionally. And it is within our families where we obtain true happiness and joy in this life.

I firmly believe that no matter how the world chooses to REDEFINE marriage and family, it does not change what God ESTABLISHED as marriage and family. In a letter addressed to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, our living prophet and apostles have reminded us that:
"Changes in the civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established. God expects us to uphold and keep His commandments regardless of divergent opinions or trends in society. His law of chastity is clear: sexual relations are proper only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife."
I also firmly believe that the selfish choices the world makes, with no regard for our creator, will have serious consequences. In The Family: A Proclamation to the World it also states:
"...we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets."
I am deeply thankful to have the restored gospel in my life, and to know that I am a treasured daughter of God. I am thankful to be a woman, a wife and a mother. I am deeply blessed to have a loving, faithful husband and four amazing children who are each living the gospel and trying to do what is right in their lives. I am thankful that we are a family. I am thankful for marriage and family, as only God established and defines it. I know families are eternal and through the sealing powers of the priesthood, families can be together forever. I am also thankful for my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, for his atonement and sacrifice. I know He lives and I know He will come again.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a Break

Welcome 2017!

I Just Feel Like Blogging!