Star Academy- Part 1

We have joined a homeschool group here in Cache Valley called Star Academy. We've never participated in a homeschool group before and we're hoping to find support and make new friends. We attended the opening social, which was a bit awkward as we are brand new and many of the families already know each other. We felt a bit shy, but we are excited for the first day. Star Academy starts up after Labor Day.

I will be teaching one class for elementary age children called, "The Secret Life of Math", based on the book
The Secret Life Of Mathby Ann McCallum, which was loaned to me by one of the co-founders and directors of Star.  I'm only teaching it as a 6 week course and then I am teaching a dinosaur unit for the following 6 weeks. The two subjects don't really go together, but I already have several dinosaur books and other materials and one of the other books loaned to me was a Ranger Rick's Nature Scope science book entitled, Digging into Dinosaurs.

At the opening social I recieved my class list and money and I have 9 students so far.

Marissa will be taking art, family life skills and sign language.  Marcus will be taking a class called, "Around the World in 80 Tales" which is about cultures, a science class and a class called, Hi-Story, which is a creative story class, I think. I did not sign him up for my class as I thought he'd appreciate the science class more and also to give him a break from my teaching one day a week. I do believe it's good for children to experience different styles of teaching. He also is taught in Primary every Sunday at church (Primary is the children's program).

Darcie has opted out of this group as she decided to duel enroll in the high school along with her online school. She is only taking 3 classes, plus Seminary (our religious class offered through 9th-12th grade years).  She is taking Spanish, water colors and drivers ed.

Our classes with Star will take place on Thursdays at a church that the group rents and we have to be there by 9:30 which works well with Marissa's Seminary time which is from 7:50-8:45am.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a Break

Welcome 2017!

I Just Feel Like Blogging!