5 Reasons I Homeschool

1.  At home my child is physically and spiritually safe.  God is welcome in our home.  In our home there is no profanity, no immorality, no bullying, and no peer pressure.  At home our family values and my child's self-esteem remain intact.  Do you want to know what my oldest son and daughter remember most about high school?  Hearing the f-word a million times every day, seeing kids smoke in front of the school (there was a designated spot for smoking!), a boy dropping his pants so that my daughter and others could see everything, condoms freely passed out to promote safe sex, smelling drugs in the locker room.  I can offer other examples for middle school and elementary, but I'll just end by saying that I have yet to walk into a school where I saw evidence that my child would be as nurtured, as valued and as secure as he is at home.
 
2. At home I can tailor my son's education to him.  I can personalize it.  I can take advantage of his preferred learning style.  My child learns at his own pace and spends as much time as he wants on any subject of his choosing. When he has the freedom to choose what he studies, and how he studies it, he gets more out of the experience, truly enjoys the learning process and retains more of what he learned because it was something that was of interest and value to him.

3. Going along with #2, at home I am fully in charge of what my son does and does not learn. I LOVE being in complete control over my son's education.

4. At home we have our own routine, calendar and rules.  Our time is truly our own which allows us to be flexible and relaxed.  My child wakes up when he's had enough sleep.  He has time to sit and eat a hot breakfast every morning.  He can go to the bathroom or get a drink whenever he needs to without getting permission first.  He can choose when to play outside and when to come back inside.  He can freely move around as much as he likes.  He can socialize while he eats lunch and there is no rush to finish.  He can spend as much time as he needs to learn a new concept before moving on.  He can take a sick day without worrying about catching up or falling behind.  He never has homework (what a waste of  family and kid time).  He can go on many field-trips instead of just one a year. 

5. Best of all, having him home equals valuable time spent with him.  I would be missing out on so much if I sent him to school!  School takes up a big chunk of the day and what's left over just isn't enough.  I have always been the kind of mom who loves being around her children.  I can't think of any way I'd rather spend my days than with my children (and my husband of course!).  I want to be there to see my child's 'a-ha!' moments.  I want to watch his interest spark and see where his curiosity leads him.  I want to snuggle on the couch with him and a good book.  My time with him is so precious.  I don't want it limited to dinner and bedtime.  Childhood is fleeting, it doesn't last, and I want every minute of every day to count.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a Break

Welcome 2017!

I Just Feel Like Blogging!